Jan 25, 2010

Band Of The Week - Hail!

It's pretty rare that I would name a supergroup, or a cover band as my Band Of The Week, but Hail are both of those and whatdayaknow, they're today's pick.  Hail consists of Ripper Owens on vocals (Priest, Malmsteen, Beyond Fear), David Ellefson on bass (Megedeth), Andreas Kisser on guitar (Sepultura), and my personal favorite, Mike Portnoy on drums (Dream Theater).   Not too shabby if I say so myself.  They're all talentedmusicians, but even more importantly in forming this group is that they are all massive metal fans.  They just love to play/sing the music.  The group was David's brainchild, and there have been several drummers thrown into the mix since its inception (Paul Bostaph was with them for a bit) but Mike seems to be the main guy behind the skins at this point.
They are also playing a show in NYC tomorrow (Tuesday night) at BB Kings, and I suggest everyone who can go, does go.  It should be pretty unreal to see this lineup in such a small setting.  Expect to hear Maiden, Testament, Accept, UFO, and even some Sepultura songs.  Ripper can honestly sing just about anything, so most anything is fair game.
Oh, and if you do get to BB Kings, I can pretty much guarantee Chris Caffery will make a guest appearance on stage.

Here's a video from the Bostaph era:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive