Dec 30, 2009

Baroness Nabs the #1 album of the year from Decibal Magazine

I have an update on my Band of the Week, Baroness.  Well Decibel Magazine did their top 40 albums of the year, and although I will toot the Baroness horn I cannot agree with their decision for making them NUMBER 1 OF THE YEAR?   Decibel magazine is very.... stylized though (read: trendy extreme metal only), and although I appreciate having an intelligent metal mag out there, it was very obvious for them to go with crowd pleasers Baroness.  Here is the full list of 40 albums: 
40. Funebrarum - The Sleep Of Morbid Dreams
39. Millions - Gather Scatter
38. Municipal Waste - Massive Aggressor  [Way too far down the list...]
37. Javelina - Beasts Among Sheep
36. Suffocation - Blood Oath
35. Goes Cube - Another Day Has Passed
34. Culted - Below The Thunders Of The Upper Deep
33. Krallice - Dimensional Bleedthrough
32. Brutal Truth - Evolution Through Revolution [I really tried to get into this band, but honestly.... they are awful live.  They were good the first time I saw live, then horrible the next 4 times.  SO, I decided to listen to the album.... also horrible.  I think Helen Keller produced and mixed it.     .....sorry Danny Lilker, I still love him]
31. The Red Chord - Fed Through The Teeth Machine
30. Keelhaul - Keelhaul's Triumphannt Return To Obscurity
29. Katatonia - Night Is The New Day
28. Gaza - He Is Never Coming Back
27. Goatwhore - Carving Out The Eyes Of God
26. City Of Ships - Look What God Did To Us
25. Burnt By The Sun - Heart Of Darkness
24. The Gates Of Slumber - Hymns Of Blood And Thunder
23. Funeral Mist - Maranatha [I thought this would make their top 10!]
22. Mournful Congregation - The June Frost
21. Altar Of Plauges - White Tomb
20. Asphyx - Death...The Brutal Way
19. The Atlas Moth - A Glorified Piece Of Blue Sky
18. Paradise Lost - Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us
17. Mastodon - Crack The Skye [Obligatory]
16. YOB - The Great Cessation
15. Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest
14. Magrudergrind - Magrudergrind
13. Obscura - Cosmogenesis
12. Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Agorapocalypse
11. Immortal - All Shall Fall [They lost a lot of the rawness and thrash/black metal mix sound that I love on this one.  A good record, but not top 11 of the year]
10. Isis - Wavering Radiant
09. Marduk - Wormwood [This was a big step up for Marduk.  This album is selling like shit, but at least it's getting some credit]
08. Tombs - Winter Hours
07. Slayer - World Painted Blood [It's still cool to like Slayer!!!  Nice!!  Now I am gonna whip out my denim vest]
06. Kylesa - Static Tensions
05. Cobalt - Gin
04. Napalm Death - Time Waits No Slave
03. Coalesce - Ox
02. Converge - Axe To Fall
01. Baroness -The Blue Record
My thoughts- Kylsea is WAY too high up.  Krallice consistently get their ass licked by Decibel and released a legitimately good album this year, so I have no idea why they are so far down. Also, the lack of SUNN O))) in Decibel Magazine EVER is starting to look like some petty grudge.  Sunn had one of the best extreme metal albums of the year EASILY, and I will be damned if they were as much as mentioned once in print ALL YEAR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive